WhiteBannerBG GFWC_Logo_4Color_horz_right NWC_logo 2015 Facebook square blue large Twitter blue large

From our historic Headquarters in Washington, D.C., GFWC leaders and staff offer support and guidance to more than 100,000 members and more than 4,000 clubs, who collaborate on projects that touch lives in their own hometowns and around the globe.

 

GFWC is distinguished from other service organizations by the breadth of our outreach. Our programs span all areas of the lives of our members, their families, and communities: arts, conservation, education, home life, public affairs, and international affairs. For more information, please visit GFWC.org.

About Our Club

The General Federation of Women's Clubs, one of the world's largest and oldest non-partisan, non-denominational women's volunteer service organizations, was founded in 1890 and chartered by the 56th United States Congress in 1901.

 

Headquartered in a national historic landmark building in Washington, D.C., GFWC has a long history of philanthropy, social and political advocacy, and community leadership.

Non-Partisan and Non-Denominational

In 1932, seventeen women gathered at their first meeting place – 518 11th Avenue South – which was donated by Mrs. E.W. Crayton and Mrs. W.L. Clark. The founding president was Doris Gandees. Early meeting minutes indicate that the charter members often proposed improvements, serving as the "community redevelopment agency" of that time.

 

The Club's history is inextricably linked with the history of Naples. Since 1932, the club has supported the Naples community both financially and with volunteer services. Over the years, the Naples Woman's Club stepped in and started the first Naples library, the Garden Club and a youth shelter. It also provided the first medical services to the community.

 

In 1949, the Naples Woman's Club joined the General Federation of Women's Clubs which is one of the world's largest and oldest volunteer service organizations. It is also a member of the GFWC Florida Federation of Women's Clubs. For a complete timeline of our history, please visit the Our History: Lest We Forget page.

Our History

The General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC) is an international women's organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service across the United States and beyond. Our local Club, the GFWC Naples Woman's Club, supports many organizations locally, statewide, nationally and internationally.

 

In all 50 states and more than a dozen countries, our members work locally to create global change. GFWC clubwomen are mothers, sisters, wives, daughters, teachers, retirees, authors, artists and community advocates who are dedicated to enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.

download

Doris Gandees 1st President Naples Woman’s Club

GFWC Florida Federation Headquarters is located in Lakeland, FL. GFWC Florida was originally organized on February 21, 1985 and admitted to the General Federation of Women's Club on January 25, 1898. After being located on Lakeland’s Lake Mirror for 33 years, the new headquarters was built in 1990. The office is a repository of the organization’s archives dating back to its inception in 1895.

 

With over 100 years of service to the communities of Florida, GFWC Florida holds a cherished position in the history of the state. In 1883 the Village Improvement Association of Green Cove Springs (FL) consisted of 18 women's groups. By 1891 the Housekeeper's Club of Coconut Grove had formed. It joined the General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC) in 1891, the first Florida club to do so. GFWC is one of the world’s largest and oldest nonpartisan, nondenominational, women’s volunteer service organizations. For more information and history, please visit GFWCFlorida.org.

GFWC Florida

The General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC) is an international women's organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service across the United States and beyond. Our local Club, the GFWC Naples Woman's Club, supports many organizations locally, statewide, nationally and internationally.

 

In all 50 states and more than a dozen countries, our members work locally to create global change. GFWC clubwomen are mothers, sisters, wives, daughters, doctors, teachers, and community leaders who are dedicated to enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.

 

From our historic Headquarters in Washington, D.C., GFWC leaders and staff offer support and guidance to more than 100,000 members and more than 4,000 clubs, who collaborate on projects that touch lives in their own hometowns and around the globe.GFWC is distinguished from other service organizations by the breadth of our outreach. Our programs span all areas of the lives of our members, their families, and communities: arts, conservation, education, home life, public affairs, and international affairs. For more information, please visit GFWC.org.

GFWC General Federation of Women's Clubs

Founded in 1932

The GFWC Naples Woman’s Club is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the community through philanthropic activities and volunteer services. We have more than 250 members, meet monthly October through April, and host a variety of events throughout the year.

 

Our organization was formed in 1932 and since 1949, we have been a member of  GFWC Florida Federation of Women's Clubs and the General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC).

 

Our Clubhouse is located in downtown Naples, just one-half block off the famous 5th Avenue district and approximately one mile from Naples Pier. We are currently accepting new members and invite you to join one of our meetings. The Clubhouse is also available for private rentals.

GLK_1788 IMG_4338