First meeting place for the Naples Woman's Club in 1932
Youth Haven incorporated. Land site contributed; capital funds and endowment funds secured. Ground breaking for their building. NWC brings home top honors from GFWC (First Place Federation CIP project = Save the Alligators. This was an extensive two-year project culmination in the passing of legislation.
Spearheaded the local war on drugs by bringing the “The Seed and Drug Rehabilitation Awareness Program” to Naples. This was a 2 year CIP project.. Redecorated interior of Clubhouse. Continued A.I.D.E.S. to schools & A.I.D.E.S to Conservancy; both projects were financial and volunteer on-going programs.
Community Improvement Program --Teen Club was formed, with meetings held at the NWC Clubhouse. NWC support, with other Collier County agencies later, realized the opening of a Youth Center for Teens.
Naples Woman's Club members in a 1932 Ford Coupe
for the Swamp Buggy Race
Initiated circulating library for club members at the Clubhouse. $28,000 for philanthropies this year.
Marked “50 years of Service” A Golden Anniversary. Purchased a van, for donation pick-up for Thrift Shop.
Support for The Conservancy by funding the resurfacing of an existing naturalist building. Woman’s Club continues the battle against Domestic Violence with a year-long, weekly series of Programs, “Neapolitans in Action” --- NWC’s continuing effort to help victims of spouse abuse.
Naples Woman's Club President Evelyn Vann, along with Naples Mayor Stanley Billick break ground for the new Vietnam Veteran’s Monument in Cambier Park. The project is sponsored by the Naples Woman's Club.
Hosted the Florida Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC) District 12 Art Festival.
Staged an Historical show “Pageantry of America the Beautiful”.
Presented $17,000 in Scholarships to local High Schools. Began the “Youth City Council.”
New speaker system installed in Clubhouse. New air conditioning system at the Thrift Shop and Clubhouse. Equipped Comptroller’s Office at Y.M.C.A. (a CIP project); Provided an alcoholism Prevention Program.$26,000 in donations.
Completed financial pledge to Y.M.C.A. Gave $12,000 in Scholarships to local High School Graduates and $22,000 in donations to the community. Started a monthly Arts and Crafts achievement award.
Replaced the roof and air conditioning system of Clubhouse. Gave $16,000 in scholarships to local High School Graduates. Donated $5,000 to Shelter for Abused Women. Supported the “Philharmonic for the Arts Building Program”. Dramatic costumed ---“reprise” of the 1985 Club presentation of “America the Beautiful” performed at the Clubhouse.
Opened a Furniture Shop. Redecorated the Clubhouse. Donated a sign at new headquarters of GFWC. Held a Woman’s Health Workshop on Breast Cancer. Celebrated the Centennial of GFWC by honoring four local women as Naples’ Women of Achievement. One of honorees was selected as a Florida Woman of Achievement. Original Program “Through the Looking Glass” written and performed by NWC Board members—sharing memories of NWC history and Federation involvement.
Enlarged the office at the Clubhouse. Hosted the “Fall Federation Officers’ Tour”. Held a Long term
Healthcare Workshop at the Clubhouse for the Community Began the Calendar of Caring for nursing homes.. During the Persian Gulf Crisis, NWC adopted a Battalion. ---“The Golden Griffins from North Carolina” who were guests of NWC and the City of Naples for the “Parade of Patriotism on July 4th .Sponsorship of Conservancy, Inc. Sea Turtle Project. $30,000. In scholarships and donations awarded.
Youth Haven completed. The Naples Woman's Club provided 131,430 hours of service to the Youth Haven project, along with $44,000 in contributions. The Club also loaned it's facilities for meetings, storage and the first LUV-A-FAIR.
Youth Haven is the "culmination of local citizens over two and one-half years". The idea of a home for Collier County's dependent children was first conceived by Judge Stanley.
Started revision of NWC By-laws and Articles of Re-incorporation.
Purchased third addition to Thrift Shop. Sponsored A.I.D.E.S. TO TEACHERS PROGRAM; Held the “Holiday Tour of Homes”. Sponsored the Collier County “Woman of the Year” competition in conjunction with local church and civic groups.
Purchased fourth addition to Thrift Shop. Adopted revision of By-laws and Articles of Re-incorporation. Sponsored Miss America 1973, Terry Anne Meeuwsen, at the Naples Swamp Buggy Parade. Held “firecracker socials”, and Card parties for the community. Initiated an American “Cultural Heritage Program” which featured a Seminole Indian Festival; and an authentic Luau Party. Also provided. financial support to: Merihu Park, Lowdermilk and Cambier Parks, Seminole Park and Cypress Nature Center with a donation of $3,600. Donation of $8,000 to Y.M. C.A.—Philanthropies over $40,000.We entered the Swamp Buggy Race with a 1932 Ford coupe with a rumble seat.
Newspaper article of inception of Youth Haven
Built addition on back of Clubhouse and remodeled the Thrift Shop block.
Co-sponsored “Awareness ‘78” and first Southwest Florida Alcoholism Symposium. NWC members very active with: The Conservancy, Naples Community Hospital Auxiliary and the Mental Health Clinic. The NWC Thrift Shop grossed $78,000 in 1978. A Thrift Shop Board of Directors was instituted to manage the shop under the chairmanship of Louise Prothero.
Renovated our Clubhouse for energy efficiency and improved lighting. Launched “Positive Alternatives.” (a 2 year CIP program with 35 women and 44 presentations) with focus on retirement pitfalls related to Mental Health & Anxiety. NWC joined this support with a Proclamation to the Board of County Commissioners related to education and prevention of drug abuse programs locally.
NWC Community Improvement Program .. “led to the opening of a Naples area home for battered women and their children. “Helping establish a “Safe Place” for shelter from spousal abuse: Promoted and co sponsored with Palmer Cablevision and local civic groups a series of Public Service Informative and Educational Programs. 30th Anniversary of CLUBHOUSE on Park Street. Sponsored an “International Tea.” Celebration.
Naples Daily News clipping
Ground Breaking for War Memorial
The GFWC Naples Woman’s Club is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the community through philanthropic activities and volunteer services. We have more than 200 members, meet monthly October through April, and host a variety of events throughout the year.
Our organization was formed in 1932 and since 1949, we have been a member of General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC).
Our Clubhouse is located in a historic building in downtown Naples, just one-half block off the famous 5th Avenue district and approximately one mile from Naples Pier. We are currently accepting new members and invite you to join one of our meetings. The Club is also available for private rentals.